We all have high hopes for our photography when we travel. We aim to capture not only the beauty of our surroundings but the special moments we experience along the way. Learn how to go beyond snapshots and take your travel photography to the next level. In this class, photographer Jordana Wright will introduce and explore the major genres and considerations vital to successful travel photography. Through lectures, creative assignments, and photography sessions, you’ll learn ways to visually explore locations, find their essence, and create dynamic, compelling images in your journeys. Between classroom time and time shooting in the beautiful tourist destinations right in our backyard, you’ll be ready for whatever adventure next comes your way.
This hands-on curriculum has been developed from Jordana Wright’s current book: The Enthusiast’s Guide to Travel Photography.
- Philosophy of Travel Photography and Planning A Creative Journey
- Seeing The Landscape
- Finding The Details
- The Human Element, Food, and Lifestyle
- Wildlife and Adventure
- Urban Photography
- Assembling Travel Images into a Visual Story
- A Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera
- 1 lens you’re comfortable using and 1 lens you feel you need more work with
- A Tripod
- Students should bring 10 photographs (on a USB or in print) from their previous travels for a portfolio review and class discussion. Bring 5 images you’re pleased with and 5 images you feel fell short of your goals.